Monday, May 5, 2014

I'm (Sierra's Mom) a slacker - this is LAST week's letter

Kjære Familie,
Dette var en fantastisk uke. :) Først, jeg ELSKER Norge og jeg synes at jeg er den mest velsignete misjonæren i verden til å ha tjent i Stavanger, Kristiansand, og Drammen.


Now that I have said that, THIS WEEK WAS GREAT! We found out yesterday that I am going to stay in Drammen! But Sister Trydal is going to be leaving to Asker to be in a three-some. :/ I will miss her!!! Sister Frampton will be coming here! I have only met her once, but I have heard she is great and I am way excited to serve with her! And I am SO happy I am staying in Drammen :)
Last Pday we didnt do much. We watched Wreck-it Ralph with the elders (på Norsk) and really had a chill pday. It was good, because my feet are HORRID! One night we came home, and not just where my surgery was, but my WHOLE foot, up by my ankel, was SWOLLEN! SUPER swollen. It has been getting swollen since then, but not as bad as that night. Anyways, it was good to be able to rest for that day.
On Tuesday we met with a man named Mattias with one of the elders. It was so funny. We had contacted him and got an appointment, and a couple days later, the elders knocked on his door (lives close to them) and he told them he had an app with us! So we are going to give him over to the elders. He was really cool though, a man from Germany! Then we had District Meeting afterwards. We, at that moment, didnt have a district leader because there was an emergency transfer, with the AP going home, and so our district leader went to Oslo to be a Zone leader and that Zone Leader became the AP hahaha Anyways, the Zone Leaders did our district meeting! And it was about enjoying the journey. Each moment! They had notes up around the church and each of them said something for us to write down. Our favorite dinner with a member, our baptism, etc. It was cool to look back at all of those things :) We also watched some Mormon Messages, and there were osme really good quotes. One was, "Moments are the molecules that make up eternity. by Neil A. Maxwell. I loved that. I cannot believe my mission is going so fast. Speaking of that, I have decided to extend!!! I hope you are all okay with that, I REALLY want to and I feel like that is more right than coming home in October. Just a month more! That night we ate dinner with a member family named the Waals. And that was koselig!!!


Wednesday was also a great day :) An appointment fell through, so we were able to do some more studying and eat lunch! Then we took an hour or so bus ride to another area where we visited some inactive members, the Brostigens! That went well too :) Then later we did a "Helping Hands" service project! We got to wear the yellow jersey like things, and cleaned up the litter by the river, to get it looking good for the 17th of May! It was a good day :)


Thursday we had 2 appointments fall through, so we did Weekly Planning, and ate dinner with an old lady in the ward named Åse. :) She made a typical Norwegian dish, called Fiskegrateng which is like a fish and egg casserole. It is so good!!! Then for dessert we had cake and SOUP! I did not know what was going on. I thought she was bringing over tomato soup or something, for dessert... but it was dessert soup! It was good, but I was SO fulll! haha Then we taught a man named Andreas that we also found contacting. Cool story, the night before Sister Trydal and I were planning, and werent so sure if he would come. But we decided anyways to show our faith and find a member to help. And guess what?! HE CAME!!! Betty, a new convert, helped us. :) Then we met with Debby that night! And Janne (one of my favorite people in Drammen) came and helped us. When we were waiting for Debby to answer the door, Janne said, "You both look SO happy today! Did anything happen?" Nothing big had happened. haha! We were just super happy that day. We focused last week on Postivity, and I guess it worked! It is the most positive we have both been the entire two transfers! We taught Debby about the Law of Chastity and Temples, and Eternal Marriages/Families. She is so spiritual and really liked that :) Janne drove us home and told me that I cant lose my Norwegian after my mission. She is so sweet and has brought my selfasteem up! She told me that my norsk is one of the best shes heard! And that my pronunciation is so good! It was SO SWEET!


Friday was also a good day :) We couldnt eat lunch in the church, so we ate it by the river. It was GORGEOUS! I will send pictures soon. :) Anyways, afterwards we went and visited a lady that we found on the street, actually on our way (late) to another appointment. She had her daughter with her, and she said we could come visit her at her house! So we did and it went so well. We are going to go and visit her again this week :) Then we visited a former investigator, Rowena. Im not sure if you will all remember her, but the first week or so I was in Drammen, she was the philippino that was a tender mercy to me. Anyways, she had told us she didnt want to meet, but we felt like we should call her! We asked if we could visit and she said yes! SO we did! She is going to move to Netherlands this week, but it was great to see her and hopefully we will see her again soon! We ate dinner with another old lady, named Astrid, and that night met with Andrea, an investigator from Bulgaria, and met with John. Dennis and Rannveig helped us teach John! It was so great seeing Dennis! He had been in Iceland, and it was so great hearing him bear his testimony and helping others to come to know that it is true! It is so cool because what helped him come to know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet was reading his testimony in the beginning of the Book Of Mormon!
Saturday was a GREAT day! A member of the Seventy, Elder Hurbertson, and his wife, came for Stake Conference! So the wife went around visiting people. And they thought it would be good for her to visit Debby! So we went and they talked, it wasnt a lesson, but it was good for Debby :) Then we went to the church and GUESS WHO I SAW!? EVERYONE!!! :) People from Stavanger and Kristiansand were there! I was able to see the Steffensen family, the Torjesens, Annett, the Salgados, Aida and Jose, Fredrik, etc. etc. It was SO good to see everyone!! And what made me so happy, was that people that I wasnt soooo close to in these areas (mostly Kristiansand) still acted like I WAS!!! It made me so happy :) We went and taught a boy in Sentrum while others had meetings. He doesnt speak Norsk or English so well, but it went okay. He is Muslim and we are going to be meeting with again this week! We ate lunch in a park (and got ice cream because it was SO warm outside, everyone else had ice cream, and we wanted some!) Then we went back to the church and saw more people! Then we went to Stake Conference! It was way good!!! Aida, of course, gave me a bag of food! And I was able to talk with Fredrik, Christine, and others!!! It was SOOO good to see Christine! Oh my life is just so perfect!!! The sisters from Skien came and stayed the night with us! So fun :)


Sunday morning we had moves call!! Then we got picked up bright an early from a member becasue we were in the stake choir! We practiced the song and then talked with people until the meeting started :) Before the meeting started, Janne came up to me and said, "I wanted to tell you yesterday, but you are just so beautiful!" I was already worried about something, ill tell you in a second, and that was just a tender mercy. The Lord comforts, or just shows His love through other people!!! Aida and Jose sat with me and the entire meeting I was so stressed.





Before the meeting I talked with a member named Åse from Kristiansand, and she told me that Fredrik and two others got in a car accident and they were in the hospital! I saw a picture from the news on her phone and the car was upside down, wrecked. I was stressed! After Conference we went home and studied, then had a teach with Freddy! He was changing his mind, YES, NO, YES, NO, to meeting with us, but we got to meet! We sat by the Statskirke, on the grass, and taught him the Plan of Salvation! It was, I think, one of our best lessons we tuaght! We had practiced things together and applied them!!! The Spirit was there and he wants to know it is true. Late last night he texted us and told us he said his first real prayer in a long time and it went well :) YAY! He is going to find out that God exists, and not only that, but that he has lived eternity before this life with Him and eternity after this life with his Father! After Freddy, we walked to the hospital and were able to visit Fredrik! His back is fractured (the bottom part), and his neck isnt! (they thought it might be) So that was good. The elders came too and we were able to visit him! He is giong back to Kristiansand today with his mom, but prayers would be great! Im sure he would enjoy emails from some of you too.





Anyways, this week was GREAT!!! This week was full of laughing, stress, running, and sleeping! The perfect missionary week!!! I am so thankful that I am serving here in Norway. Life is great and I hope that you all arent too sad that I am extending a month. I think you would all understand entirely if you were here. Im in heaven, and I wont be able to live this again. I have never ever been so happy in my life. I LOVE IT!!!
Ha en FANTASTISK UKE!!! :)
Love, Søster Chapman


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment