Monday, June 3, 2013

Hey Everyone! So I'm so sorry If I don't have time to email all of you separately. There are only a few computers in the church and we have to share with the elders in our area too...annnddd I'm in a three-some! (hahaha don't know if thats what its called) Anyways, where am I???


I am in Stavanger!! Its a city on the coast, pretty south. Its south of Bergen and west of Oslo. Sister Mourik and I (from my district with curly hair) are companions with Sister Clark who has been on her mission for 8 months!


I love it here! The weather is SO bipolar! haha today is PERFECT weather. Its blue skies, sunny, a tad windy, and probably in the high 60s low 70s?


But the one thing about Stavanger is that the dialect is INSANE! Instead of rolling their tongues they have a french way of saying their "r"s haha But it's okay! I don't exactly understand people, but Sister Clark does for the most part and so we rely on her a lot. My apartment is not ikea-y but i still love it! It is made for 2 missionaries, so we had to move the couch into our room. haha I have the top bunk and sister m has the bottom. Sister Clark likes the couch!


Lets see...I love my companions and i know it was inspired by God. Also, where I was sent too! She was actulaly just sent from Trondheim and she had been there her whole mission! she did not want to leave because she loved it so much! So we're all trying to figure out everything here. There are 2 other sets of missionarys (elders) and one set of senior missionaries and us here! Elder Whetton, Burt, Holden, and Nash. I love them! They're so fun. So yesterday at church we were planning on bearing our testimonies, but instead they asked us to say the prayers! There are like 150 people at chruch on a good day. haha But i did it and when i sat down, my heart was just pounding like crazy. I felt like I just did something that required so much strenghth! But people are SO nice here and said how surprised they were at us. Sister Mourik gave the closing prayer and that was good! Before sacrament meeting a little girl was talking to us and I said to her something like "vi har vart her for fem dager, sa vi kan ikke snakke norsk vellig bra. Med, vi prover!" (we have been her for 5 days, so we can not speak norwegian very well) and she said, "Dere er skjempe flink!" and that means you are very talented/smart! haha it was so cute. We had dinner with an american family yesterday and that was fun!
We don't have cars or bikes here - we ride public transportation...so - buses! Its different than america i think though. We have bus cards and you hold it up to a thing that doesn't charge it but lets you on the bus? not really idk how to explain it. haha you can get on the bus but you just do that every time. And then we can do bus contacting. Which I am TERRIFIED OF. We did street contacting around a lake/pond in the middle of town. I like that! A lot of people speak english and not norwegian. But when we were talking to someone that I stopped, I had a feeling that even though we may teach lots in english - i willl get the language. (:
I AM SOOOO jetlagged! At first, i would get hungry like...30 minutes after we ate and then every morining too i am just dead. It'll get better though i think.


The chocolate here is AMAZING. the food here is actually amazing. haha I don't understand kroner and celcius and all that stuff really yet...but i'll get it eventually. haha
hmmm, Oh! Just today when I was on the bus to the church I didnt talk to anyone cuz i was in a single seater ( i guess i could have leaned over to talk but...oh well) and so i opened up my scriptures randomly and i opened to alma 5 and the second verse i read said something about how they were called to preach the word to people young and old, etc. And i was thinking before how there was a younger kid next to me and i always think how bus contacting is terrifying and then i got my answer. So...I decided that every time that i'm on a bus and can talk to someone - i will. Bahhhhh so scary.But Christ got rejected so much more than I will. And I'm His representative. Anyways - at the mtc i got a blessing a couple weeks ago and it was said that i was going to be rejected a lot. I know that its true - but i also know that I will also be accepted a lot. Just a thought.
Hmmm...what else. You would all LOVE it here! it actually kinda looks like sitka! Very green and the ocean is near, SOOOO HILLY!
Oh! And my english is going down the drain. Grammar especially. I forgot my first word that I knew in norwegian and not in english...but firgure it out soon after. Ledsager means companion and that was the word. Very exciting (: haha Hmmm...one of the investigators that the other sisters left is named Sylwia (sylvia) and she's from poland. I'm excited about her - we wont be able to teach her until she is finished with her thesis but once we do it will be great. She is from poland so we teach her in english. She wants to know the truth so she is looking into other churches too. But I really hope she'll be baptized. Also, One of the people i stopped on the street is a muslim man named Arafat. We met with him and his friend the next day at the lake...which is actually against their religion to meet with us! But we think he sorta wanted us to hear about his religion too. He's going to give us a karan (?) and we're going to give him a Book Of Mormon. Anywho we'll see how that goes. I don't have much time! BAHHH!
Let me think if theres anything else...Look up stavanger accent and then listen to oslo accent (bokmal) and then you will be able to hear a little bit of my troubles. haha (: Anyways Idk what else to talk about but I love you all sooo much! I'll write more next monday and i'll try to send pictures today! but idk if it will work.
Jeg elsker dere og dere er fantastisk!
love, soster chapman




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Finally in NORWAY !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment